kingpins

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: kingpins
From: Tom Sotomayor <brg@mcs.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 19:30:11 -0500
> As you may have guessed, I'm contemplating rebuilding the kingpins in my
> '77 B and would like some advice on methods of reaming the bushings.  I
> don't have access to the factory tool, but thought about using a brake
> cylinder hone to size the bushings to the appropriate dimensions once
> they're installed.  Has anyone tried this??  Will I have nightmares wheni
> go to insert the kingpins??  What other methods are available, if any, to
> do this?
>
> If anyone knows of a place where I can borrow or rent the factory tool in
> the southern Michigan area (Ann Arbor), please let me know.  That would
> make this job a lot less challenging.
>
> Rich Peterson

Rich:

The problem you might run into is that the bores for the bushings were
not necessarily machined in line. You might be able to hone out enough
material about .015" per side - maybe more. You might end up with
excessive clearance when your done just to make it fit. If you can make
it down to the western Chicago suburbs - you can use my factory reamer!

Tom Sotomayor
68 B
71 BGT
73 B