Re: 14 months in the shop??

To: gardner@lwcomm.com
Subject: Re: 14 months in the shop??
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 06:28:19 EDT
Gentlemen,
  There are people in the business who look for customers who have cars
for which they are not in a hurry. These cars are used for fill-in work
during slow periods in the shop, so the shop operator can afford to keep
his staff.
  A problem arises when the Shop asks "When do you want it" as an
estimate is being prepared, and the car owner says "Whenever."
  Months later, the car is not visibly improved and the owner gets itchy.
The shop knows that by scheduling the work at the regular pace, it will
now have to charge the regular rate. Conflict is brewing, because the
owner will only understand the estimate, and not the new cost, plus the
yet-to-be discovered problems that will have to be worked on also.
  The shop is paying 30-40% of its gross payroll for Workers Comp, 6.75%
for Fica and Medicare,  xx% to the state for unemployment insurance, yy%
to th Feds for unemployment insurance, $$ for being a corporation in its
state, $$ for having a sales tax number in its state, $$ for being a
producer of "Hazardous Waste", $$ for getting disposal of said "Hazardous
Waste",  $$ for insurance of all sorts, plus insurance in case the
hazardous waste isn't really disposed of properly by the people he paid
to dispose of it properly.
  The costs of the shop continue, regardless of the work being done.
True, the lad changing the tyre and bending your wheel may be paid only
$8.00 per hour, but he costs the shop a lot more, especially when the
$8/hr employee forgets to show up for a couple of days.