Re: American car companie

To: john.kahoon@pcohio.com
Subject: Re: American car companie
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 06:28:19 EDT
  There was such a car at that time. It's not included in my 1957
Observers Book of the Automobile, but it was about then that there was
one in the town where I lived. It was shaped like a disposable aircraft
fuel tank, with plexiglass, side opening top. Seated two, one behind the
other.  Two wheels forward, outside the body but covered with cycle
fenders and, I think, one wheel aft that was the drive wheel.
  Since VWs, Mercedes, BMW, Auto-Union, Borgward, Isettas and others were
coming into the US at that time, my guess would be that its purpose was
not to get around import restrictions, rather to provide least-expensive
enclosed wheels for the home market.
Bob