Re: Can't go over 3500 rpm

To: MG <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Can't go over 3500 rpm
From: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 21:20:50 -0400
John,

Thanks for the message.  I re-checked everything and things seem to be OK=
=2E =

The intake on #1 plug just starts to open at about 10 BTDC and the CB
points start to open at about 10 BTDC.  (Actually, I didn't have a test
lamp so I used my $9.95 multimeter.  When the points opened, the resistan=
ce
went from 0 to about 5 ohms (and the rotor was pointing at # 1 plug tower=
=2E =

I was expecting it to go to infinite ohms when the points opened up, but
I'll bet that has something to do with the condenser in the circuit.
Anyway, I think it's safe to say the timing chain hasn't slipped.
Incidentally, if folks haven't done this before, it's quite interesting t=
watch the valves go up and down, feel for the compression strokes, see th=
decrease in resistance (or light go out) when the CB points open up etc. =

Very useful diagnostic tool - do it when your car is running good so you'=
ll
know what the deal is.
This weekend I'm planning on taking the muffler off and checking for brok=
en
plates, disassembling the distributor and re-checking the wires (again),
running engine up to 3000 rpm then looking in fuel chambers for correct
fuel level and just looking at the poor engine for inspiration.  Then I'l=
order new carb stuff - needles, jets.
To summarize: I've checked compression (150 +/- 5 on all cylinders),
swapped distributors, distributor caps, plug leads, plugs, rotors, CB
points, coils (3)   New electronic fuel pump, checked float gap and Grose=

jets, cleaned and checked operation of SU carb pistons, disconnected chok=
e,
tried various fuel mixtures (raising and lowering of jets), put in a bott=
le
of STP fuel treatment stuff, sprayed for air leaks around carbs, spacers,=

intake manifold. Checked oil in dampers, checked linkages (throttle and g=
as
enrichment) between carbs are tight, checked carb butterflies turn 90
degrees when gas pedal floored, took off air and fuel filters,  examined
carb needles.  Checked fuel line between carbs.   Checked dwell and
ignition timing.  Ensured timing is advanced when engine is revved. Tried=

advancing and retarding timing.  Replaced low voltage wire from coil to
distributor. Checked wires in distributor(s) for resistance when slack an=
when pulled.  Checked valve clearances and examined motion with engine
running.  Tried cleaning up points in SU fuel pump.  Checked leads to and=

from rev counter.  Checked resistance of coil. Checked disributor is
electrically grounded to engine, also ran jumper from distributor to engi=
ne
 Checked fluid in windscreen washer bottle. Have I missed anything?

Time for a Guinness,           Adrian