Re: Can't go over 3500 rpm

To: Adrian Jones <AdrianJones@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Can't go over 3500 rpm
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 23:37:41 -0500
Hello Adrian:

I suggested a fuel problem but you seem to have eliminated the possibility.
The only other way I can think of fuel starvation would be a blockage in
the line from the tank which restricts flow at higher speeds.  The carbs
could be starving for fuel but you won't find it once the engine slows down
and the pump catches up.  One suggestion would be to run the car flat out
to the point where it won't rev, then declutch, shut off the engine, stop
the car, and check the level in the float bowls.

Your changing the distributor suggests that the problem is not there.  Have
you considered the possibility that the timing chain may have jumped a
tooth.  This could happen if the chain is old and stretched.  The only
other thing I can think of is valve seat recession which would cause the
tappet gap to close up to the point where the valves are staying open.
This might be the cause of the backfiring.  Let us know what you find.

John McEwen