Won't rev over 3000 RPM

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Won't rev over 3000 RPM
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 00:22:11 +0000
> Art,
> Thanks for post.  When it gets to 3000rpm it just stays there,  despite me
> pushing further on the gas pedal.  I have to ease off the gas when it
> reaches 3000rpm because I get terrible back-firing in the exhaust system  -
> feels like it's right under where I'm sitting (no jokes please!!)
> When I ease off the car runs just fine.  If I floor the gas pedal it still
> won't go over 3000rpm.
>
> This started when I was on the way back from the big city doing Warp 1.
> Which is about 75 -80 mph in this Midget - so I'm thinking that the posts
> suggesting a slipped timing chain may be a distinct possibility.

<<SNIP>>

> Onward and Upward,    Adrian

Adrian,
        I still think your engine would have to be unbelieveably sloppy to
slip a tooth on the timing chain, but I guess stranger things have
happened.
        I was looking through the Motorhead catalogue/diagnostic manual and
came across this tidbit in the carburetor section.
"Backfiring can rip the carb diaphragm and the engine won't rev above
2000 RPM".  I immediately thought of your problem.  This may be a
shot in the dark, but have you torn down your carb since this
started?  I'm not sure what carb the tip was referring to, but it's
something else to check.
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com