Re: texas emmissions laws

To: John Steczkowski <stecz@pswtech.com>, JedPiper <JedPiper@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: texas emmissions laws
From: Carol <car@texas.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 11:28:47 -0500
At 03:08 PM 8/29/97 -0700, John Steczkowski wrote:
>Actually I'm a long time Texan, so I'm familiar with the inspection, but
>technically, they are supposed to do a "visual" inspectoin to make sure
>all of the emmissions stuff exists, it sounds like you got one buy them

I've never had anybody look under the hood here in San Antonio, and I don't
head for the "other side of town" to get my inspections. (Note: I do know
where to go get an inspection sticker in a pinch, however!!) You guys keep
in mind that this ain't California! We're getting there, but we're not
there yet. Dallas and Houston (?) may have more stringent regs. We haven't
flunked the ozone test YET.

>I know there is an exemption for cars older than 25 years, but I haven't
>found the specifics about it.

Been there. Done that. Got the plates.

If you register the car as "antique vehicle" the registration is CHEAP. I
paid $38 for two years, although it is my understanding from the paperwork
that the registration is supposed to be for 5 years... I didn't bother to

And, when the registration is "antique vehicle" there is NO inspection
required.

That's in TEXAS. I'm not talkin' about other states...

BTW, you can also get a "classic vehicle" registration, but that's more
like having personalized plates...costs more to register and  you still
have to get the inspections.

Carol