Re: texas emmissions laws

To: car@texas.net
Subject: Re: texas emmissions laws
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 12:27:12 -0500
On Sat, 30 Aug 1997 11:28:47 -0500 Carol <car@texas.net> writes:
>At 03:08 PM 8/29/97 -0700, John Steczkowski wrote:
>>Actually I'm a long time Texan, so I'm familiar with the inspection,
>but
>>technically, they are supposed to do a "visual" inspectoin to make
>sure
>>all of the emmissions stuff exists, it sounds like you got one buy
>them
>
>I've never had anybody look under the hood here in San Antonio

Me neither, in Houston.

>there yet. Dallas and Houston (?) may have more stringent regs.

Yes, emissions tests are required in Harris County (Houston) and, I
believe, Tarrant and Dallas counties (DFW).

>Been there. Done that. Got the plates.
>
>If you register the car as "antique vehicle" the registration is
>CHEAP. I
>paid $38 for two years, although it is my understanding from the
>paperwork
>that the registration is supposed to be for 5 years... I didn't bother

The way the system works, is that ALL antique vehicle registrations
expire the same year.  The maximum you can get is five years, if you
register five years preceeding the expiration date.  If you register
during the course of a five year period, they will prorate the fee.  In
other words, all antique vehicle registrations will expire in 1998.  If
you registered in 1993, you pay the full fee and get five years.  If you
register in 1997, you pay 1/5 of the fee and get one year.

>And, when the registration is "antique vehicle" there is NO inspection
>required.

That's correct.  Although, as I said in an earlier post, you do have to
get the inspection if you are changing to a Texas title, regardless of
how you are registering the car.

>That's in TEXAS. I'm not talkin' about other states...
>
>BTW, you can also get a "classic vehicle" registration, but that's
>more
>like having personalized plates...costs more to register and  you
>still
>have to get the inspections.

That is also correct.  As a matter of fact, I have yet to see any
advantage in registering as a "classic vehicle" except for a fancy
license plate.  If I understand it right, you are even paying a _premium_
over "regular" registration.

One point of clarification, however.  ALL vehicles over 25 years old are
EXEMPT from emissions checks, although they are still subject to safety
inspections if they are not registered as antique vehicles.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX