Engine Bearing Replacement?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Engine Bearing Replacement?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 14:52:56 +0000
>  I am having problems with low oil pressure on my 70 Roadster and a
> friend visiting my neighbor from Australia said that what they used to
> do was to pull the oil pan and replace the main and con. rod bearings
> and it was good for another 40,000 miles.
>
> Has anybody else done this and is it prudent maintenance?
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Warren Pruitt
>
> 70 MGB Roadster

Warren,
        I think it would be a good idea to replace the bearings as you
described.  Not all parts of the engine wear out at the same rate,
and I've heard 30-40,000 miles as a fair service interval for
crank/con rod big-end bearings.
        Bear in mind that if replacing those bearings doesn't work, the cam
bearings may be worn, although they are supposedly pretty sturdy.
Check the rocker shaft for wear, as well.
Scott