Re: Engine Bearing Replacement?

To: ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU
Subject: Re: Engine Bearing Replacement?
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 07:30:49 EDT
I've seen a mechanic use a tool to change the upper half of main bearings
with the engine in the car.  The thing is shaped like a bearing shell,
sort of, with a pin on it that engages the oil supply hole in the upper
bearing shell.  Then the crank and the tool are turned together, and the
bearing spins out.  Have never used it myself, but it looked easy when
the guy did it. I think the tool was a Lisle or one of the other
well-known handy tool makers.   A trip to the parts store might turn up
such a useful item.
Bob