piston/rod/ring variations?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: piston/rod/ring variations?
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 05:15:47 +0000
Going through the catalogues, I've noticed that there are several
different pistons-(large dish, small dish, flat), and several
different rods (three types, I think), as well as three-ring and
five-ring pistons.  How interchangable are all these parts?  I'm
leaving the pistons alone for this rebuild, since the cylinders
didn't require any overboring, but the next time around, I'd really
like to change the pistons to get my compression ratio out of the
seven-to-one range. (I have the older large-chamber head with the
newer three-ring large-dish pistons.)  If I wanted to use
off-the-shelf parts to get 9.0:1 with the old head, what parts would
I use?  Would I be able to use the press-fit rods I have now, or
would I have to go with the older full-floating circlip type rods?
Scott Gardner
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner