Starting with the hand crank

To: stevet@hbp.com
Subject: Starting with the hand crank
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 10:26:12 -0700
At 09:01 AM 8/30/97 -0400, you wrote:

>Thanks,Ross. When starting with the "handle" what is the propoer
>proceedure? I don't want to have the handle kick back at me.
>
>Steve
Glad you asked Steve.  This is one of those LBC procedures that CAN get you
hurt.

It's easy to do if you take one simple precaution.   Do NOT wrap your thumb
around the starter handle. Grip the handle firmly with your right hand,
squeezing the handle between your fingers and the pad of your thumb.  Your
thumb should be in kind of a hitch-hiking position pointing down the shaft
of the handle towards the rad.  This is very important because if the car
was to misfire and your thumb was wrapped around the handle it would almost
certainly dislocate your thumb or perhaps break it. I haven't done it myself
but I saw a highschool friend loose the use of his right hand for weeks
while starting his MGA. NOT a pretty picture.

Just like when using the starter, make sure the hand brake is set, and the
car is in neutral. Engage the starting handle and, with the ignition OFF
turn the handle to get used to the feel so you know when you're on a
compression stroke  (it'll only engage the dogs on the crankshaft if you
turn it the right way).  It gets harder to turn as you approach TDC then, as
you pass TDC and are on the exhaust stroke it'll spin on its own.  When your
sure you've got that mastered it's time to fire her up.

  Now the fun part. Turn on the ignition and wait till the float bowls fill.
Pull out the choke to it's normal starting position.  If you've got a slow
running adjustment turn that out too (do TD's have those?)  Grab the handle,
(safely!) and turn it slowly till you feel compression start to build then
spin the handle as fast as you can for about 1/2 turn.  When the motor goes
over TDC it'll either start or spin away from the cogs on the handle.  If it
doesn't catch, repeat.

It's really easy once you get the hang of it and it always entertains
onlookers.  Just remember to turn the ignition on.  It's very embarrassing
to crank and crank and not get even a pop only to discover that you didn't
have the ignition on.  Been there, done that, got the right arm to prove it.

Good luck!

   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)         Surrey, BC  CANADA
 1947 MG-TC 3528           1966 MGB-GT