Re: ignition spark

To: HGlenBetts@aol.com
Subject: Re: ignition spark
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 15:01:48 -0400
HGlenBetts@aol.com wrote:

> Hello all,
> This is a follow up to the no spark, ditributor, questions from Sunday
> night.
>
> I toar down the 41643-B distributor, got it all nice and clean and
> reset the
> air gap to .012 . It went back together fine.
>
> Using the multi meter, I found a faulty connection at the coil
> restister, got
> it cleaned up.  NOW.....
>
> No spark out of the coil when turning over the engine. BUT, I get a
> spark
> returning the ignition switch to either the on or off possition from
> the
> start possition.??

> Thank you
>
> Glen
> in FOGGY Milford Michigan
>
> 76 MG-B on the road by first snow

 Glen,
        I know practically zilch about B's, my world is TD. However,
bread and butter come from the world of electronics. The coil is really
what is called a transformer. Transformers work by means of changing
magnetic fields due to the change of electric currents. Turning your
ignition switch on, or off, causes an electric current to either start
(ON) or stop (OFF). If this is causing a spark to occur, it probably
means that the 'low' end of your coil is at ground. A very common cause
for this is when the electrical connection to the points is on the wrong
side of the insulating spacer at the connection from the coil to the
distributor. A simple test is with a test lamp connected between ground
and the distributor terminal. With the distributor cap off, turn on the
ignition switch. Nudge the engine so that the points are closed. The
lamp should not be lit. Now open the points, the lamp should light, If
it doesn't, you probably have a short to ground at that point. Check the
placement of the patrs on the terminal. No guarantees, but it sounds
like that symptom.

Bud Krueger
52TD  (in foggy Plymouth, Mass.)