Emissions Question

To: "Mg List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Emissions Question
From: dmc@pcisys.net (Don McRae)
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 20:53:47 -0600 (MDT)
I am trying to get my 76 MGB passed Colorado Emissions.  When I took it in
it passed eveything but CO at idle
specs as follows:

           Idle    2500     Limit    Result
HC PPM      190      26      600     PASS
CO%        4.95    1.48     3.50     Fail
CO2%        9.0    13.3
RPM         985    2700

I have since adjusted the carbs leaner and increased the gap on the plugs.
I have read that increasing the valve clearance will allow you to lean out
the carbs further. It has been fitted with SU HIF's.  Does anyone have any
further advice for me.  I should note that I have a slight exaust leak which
will be remidied this weekend and that at approx 900 rpm it tends to run a
little rough. The timing is set to 10 degrees BTDC, the points are new as
are the plugs.  Should I adjust the timing and if so which way.  Any
suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated.  I have 10 days to retest
before I have to pay again.

Thanks in advance...

Don McRae