Re: MG Tunes

To: Williams/MG Guy <mgguyc100@newedge.net>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MG Tunes
From: Rick Jennings <ahhclem@kcnet.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 22:16:30 -0500
At 07:05 PM 9/3/97 -0600, Williams/MG Guy wrote:
>Followed the thread with interest about appropriate tuneage (sp?) for MGs.
>Deep Purple's "Highway Star" was the theme song of my first B - a red '71
>roadster! Since I've had the GT for 23 years, a goodly number of types of
>music have passed through it's cockpit, particularly memorable, the "Made In
>The Shade" Stones album, ZZ Top's "Fandango" (BTW, Sharp Dressed Man will
>lead directly to a speeding ticket if played at high volume on a hot
>summer's night...).
>
>All of this leads me to a rant (oh, good..)
>
>Drives me nuts when I go to most all-marque car shows, and the prevailing
>style of music is like a bad American Graffitti trip. Kills me that people
>who have late-70s iron - particularly US of origin - INSIST on playing the
>'Do Whop A Ditty' icons of the mid-fifties! (Not that there's anything wrong
>with that..)
>
>If these folks were as true to the music as they were to the original air
>filters, then the '69/'70/'71 era cars should be accompanied by the Deep
>Purples, Cream, Grand Funk RR, CCR, CSN&Y..
>
>The mid-to-late '70s oughtta have early Elton, Eagles Desperado, BTO, Queen,
>ELO, Blondie, Supertramp..
>
>Granted that all music is certainly a subjective matter - but let's let the
>tunes match the era of the car. Scares me to think that when my GT sat in
>the showroom in 1970, that some dude dreamt about driving it along a winding
>road, listening to Dion!
>
>Whew.
>
>That feels better...
>
>Terry 'Music Charts My Life' Williams
>'70 BGT (built 10/69 - #1 song - Green-Eyed Lady/Sugarloaf)
>'68 roadster (built 12/68 - #1 song - White Room/Cream)

I agree. Recently went to the All British show here and heard a lot of 50's
R&R that seemed out of place, to me anyway. I've noticed at these shows that
a good portion of the people there are middle age +, like me. I worry that MG
ownership/appreciation will become something only for the greybeards, again
like myself. If that happens then the cars will pass as we do.

How do you make a 25 or 30 year old car relevant to someane in their teensx
or twenties? I autocrossed the B a couple of times this year. Had a great time
trying to go fast with relativly little risk to myself or others. However
there
were never more than 2 or 3 MG's or tr***ph's running. These cars are not
usually
competitive as prepared for street use (sorry Barney). If the SCCA were to
have a seperate class for these cars to race against each other ,with the
opportunity to
compete with a chance of winning, maybe some younger blood could be brought
into the fold.

Heck, forget the SCCA. Why not have the clubs themselves organize autocross
events? How about MG vs Tr***ph vs whatever autocross meets. Are there any
Team.net'ers listening? Has this or is this being done somewhere?

Excuse the ramblings

Rick Jennings
77B

"We're all Bozo's on this bus"