Re: '69 MGB value for Insurance purposes?

To: BDurgin1@aol.com
Subject: Re: '69 MGB value for Insurance purposes?
From: Kai Radicke <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 17:14:45 -0400
>A 68 MGB appraised at $12000????   Is LSD back????
>
>Bruce Durgin
>64 B

Hey Bruce, here on the East Coast some early MGB roadsters (62-67) fetch
$13,000, right after a restoration.  A friend rebuilt his 1972 MGB 5 years
ago, and had an offer to buy it for $14,000!  it was an excellent
restoration, and it is his only car...lately he just had an offer for
$8,000, but that is after 5 years of use.  Admittingly he spent about
$17,000 to do the car up perfect...

Bruce by the time car is done, with (Judson?) supercharger and D-type OD
and racing style wheels (all not original, but period correct, which makes
it cooler)...I expect it to be worth something in the $13,000
bracket...this will be a fully correct restoration, except for my few
little changes.

This is the East Coast...I would probably say the same is true with
California.  But during a discussion I had with another list member, it was
pointed out to me that cars in the Midwest/West are a good few thousand
cheaper than on the Coasts.  I don't know why...I don't make the decisions
on how much an MG is worth (I wish I could!).

Later Cars (rubber bumper) MGBs can fetch $9,000 if done concours...MGAs
are starting to *creep* into the low $20s...for 1600 MKII and Twin Cam
modems, and the MGA 1500s and 1600s are now getting about $17-18k for
fresh/excellent restorations.
TCs are now in the high 20s, and some into the low 30s.  TDs and TFs now
get about $25k for a restored model.

Remember this doesn't seem to be the norm for the whole USA, I am quoting
these prices on numerous ads and references I have heard, as well of cars
that I KNOW of.  I would like to know some of the market info from the West
Coast, and Midwest/Western state?

TIA and cheers,

Kai

Kai Radicke -- mowogmg@pil.net, 1966 MGB @ http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg
Dialogue Internet - Intelligent Internet Solutions (Net Khan)

IRC: irc.voicenet.com, #inet-access (my nick: ActiveX or KMR)