TECH fuel line non-flow problem was...it wasn't the fuel pump, I am conf

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: TECH fuel line non-flow problem was...it wasn't the fuel pump, I am confused
From: "John C Bullas " <johnbullas@netcentral.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 22:56:57 +0100
----------
> From: steffy <missouf@mail.utexas.edu>
> To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
> Subject: it wasn't the fuel pump, I am confused
> Date: 06 September 1997 21:38
>
> I changed the fuel pump to a new one.  There still was no gas flow
from the
> fuel line which leads to the carb.
> The, rummaging around the trunk, it was discovered that the 2 fuel
lines
> which run to and from the expansion tank (the evaporative loss
lines:  the
> vapor pipe line and the line to the expansion tank) were rotten,
cracked,
> tearing, and otherwise seemed to be the original parts that needed
replacing
> for fuel to circulate.  New fuel line was purchased and installed.
 There
> was still no gas flow from the fuel line which leads to the carb.
>
> The line that comes out of the tank itself has not been checked;
neither my
> boyfriend nor myself can figure out how to get to it to check it.

Take the cap off the tank, block the breather hose connect a hose to
extend the pipe you cannot check to below the tank level and see if
the gas will syphon down- I (being brave) would then pressurise the
tank by blowing into it- if the breather to the tank (or other pipes)
are sealed off, you should be able to blow the gas out the pipe you
cannot get access to the whole length of!*

My sig. other Jane would not let me watch when she tried this!

The pipe could be kinked or has swelled inside to stop the flow!

*This is supplied in all seriousness - no joking! i did it to blow
the fuel out of a line before welding a few days back
OK fuel has benzine in it and that is carcinogeneous so guess I'm
gonna die!

> Or, what else can be wrong?  What else can be checked?

Has the tank got a beather pipe that works if the cap is not a
breather type?

> stephanie
> '77 MG Midget
>
>           Salutation
John C Bullas and COO the "non-standard" '78 1275GT
"If it don't leak, smell, smoke, melt or burn....
            It can't be made for a Mini"
Http://www.netcentral.co.uk/~johnbullas/home.htm

John C Bullas
      "eat dirt hatchback!"