Re: (NC) mgs@autox.team.net e-mail delay

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: (NC) mgs@autox.team.net e-mail delay
From: Kai Radicke <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 1997 20:31:35 -0400
>  I think many do. I know you don't.

Ahh Trevor, I get to reply to you again...because this time you are wrong!
(as normal)

>  Simply, this is very wrong. Email is not "sent out the wire" and
>then forgotten about by autox until someday it may or may
>not arrive where you are.

This was an extremely simple view of how the Internet works.  It was done
very vaguely because that is the basic way that everything works on the
net.  You must admit that, my example was using email...but I did it simply
because this isn't a technology savvy list.

Once again Trevor, you take my posting and blow it out of context.  Only
AOL experiences email delays in the form of days ;-)

>  Please read up on the SMTP protocol. It is pseudo interactive,
>it involves commands and responses. Not simply a barrage of
>packets that somehow find places to hide in cyberspace only
>to reappear days later.

Hey I remember the command I wrote it was "(Command: Trevor Delete)"!  SMTP
is responsible for sending the email, not receiving it.

>  Email is passed from machine to machine in real time. There
>is no time where the mail is just "in transit" somewhere.

Yes it is done in real time, but numerous factors effect the time it takes.
 This is why the list mail is sometimes delayed.  You can read an email
until all the packets have arrived at the server...either POP3 or IMAP4.

>  As well, most email is sent directly, in other words,
>right from autox.team.net to the machine that your
>machine waits on while you are not reading it. It
>is rare that email passes through more than a couple
>of machines. Look at your email headers to see exactly
>where every email has been.

Arg, Trevor do I have to prove it you the hard way?  I said routers not
servers.  Yes email is sent directly, but the route it takes thru the
Internet is determined by other factors and technology.

Email headers only describe 2 things.  The computer that sent it, and the
computer who receives it.  It doesn't give a detailed report on how it got
from A to B.

>  Note that there are packets involved when the two
>email machines are communicating, like all internet
>transactions. But the packets are no different than
>any other packets, they aren't special "email" packets,
>and at no time is your email merely packets shuffling
>around the globe. The packets are merely the way
>that the autox machine talks to your personal mail
>machine during the email exchange.

Special Email packets, never said that.  I just said plain old packets, but
my example used email.  Trevor you well now that the way you are describing
email is as if I had a direct connection from me to you.  This isn't how it
works, there are currently 19 Hops between me and team.net.  And 15 hops
between me and you.

"Hop: The number of gateways and routers in a transmission path.  Each hop
slows down transmission speed  since the gateway or router must analyze or
convert the packet of data before forwarding it to its destination."

And Trevor if you are able to dispute that well, that say a lot for how
much you claim to know.

Thus the more hops the packets take, the slower it is getting to its
destination.  The hop count isn't the same for each person.  I had 19 hops,
you may have 5.

>  Kai, please don't miseducate people. I know you want
>to seem intelligent, but there are many on the list
>that really do understand and cringe to read your
>posts.

I didn't, you are.  Trevor my email was correct, yes there are other
factors involved in delivery.  But you have managed to mis represent the
facts, and even misunderstand the basics of how the Internet works.  I find
that extremely surprising as you run a company based on computers.

>  It is scary how you can know a tiny nugget
>of the truth, or no truth at all, but then you post
>pretending like it's "old hat" to you. People who
>don't know you might take it seriously.

Trevor, I suggest you do some reading as well.  A lot of it.  If you want
to dispute Internet Protocols lets take this private...

Trevor the very first thing you should do after you read this, is to cut
the power to blackknight.brit.ca , and then see how you email does.  Oh and
check out nitrous.digex.net , and there is some info there for newbies to
Internet technology...and a nice little script they implemented called
"traceroute"...learn how to use it, it can be your friend!

Trevor, I'll be happy to take this private...?  You Willing?

Kai

Kai Radicke -- mowogmg@pil.net, 1966 MGB @ http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg
Dialogue Internet - Intelligent Internet Solutions (Net Khan)

IRC: irc.voicenet.com, #inet-access (my nick: ActiveX or KMR)