Re: Clutch gone???!!!

To: bk996@freenet.carleton.ca, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clutch gone???!!!
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 22:50:59 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-07 21:13:38 EDT, bk996@freenet.carleton.ca (Eric R.
Stephen) writes:

<< I had posted earlier with respect to a noise when the clutch pedal was
 fully depressed.  I now know I have a much bigger fish to fry!  The joint
 master cylinder (brake/clutch) is full.  The tranny is topped up.  When I
 try to depress the clutch pedal I get a grinding, >>

I think your throw-out bearing is worn very badly, enough that you are metal
to metal now and really bogging the engine. This means pulling the
engine/transmission. You would want to replace the clutch at the same time.
If you have an engine puller or rent one (or a come-along well secured to two
or three garage trusses) this is a serious weekend project. If you are not a
"gearhead", get one to help you with this rather major project. If you don't
know one, find a good, honest shop and get an estimate up front. I would
guess a shop would charge $400 to $500, parts included.

If you decide to do this yourself, a replacement clutch kit from VB will be
$100 unless you are going to a competition clutch. I'd also order a clutch
lever bushing $2 and two release bearing clips $2. From all the racket you
describe these clips may be ruined. A clutch alignment tool is $5. If your
rear main is leaking, this is the time to replace that too, $8. Oh, and yes,
be VERY careful and use the proper jack stands and other precautions when
doing this project. The car and the engine/transmission are heavy enough to
seriously hurt you if you don't keep safety high on your priority.

An option to the stock carbon throw-out bearing is a roller type throw-out
bearing for about $50 extra. I have installed these instead of the stock
carbon type. In an e-mail awhile back from Dick Criswell, he said he didn't
recommend them. Unfortunately, I was never able to find out just what his
thoughts on the matter were before his accident. VW Beetle's came with carbon
throw-out bearing for years as well as MGs. I guess there's really nothing
wrong with them. I'm sure this will start an interesting thread...

While the engine's out, you can degrease and paint it quite nicely, if that's
something you're interested in.

The only question I have is your comment about the "joint master cylinder
(brake/clutch)". The brake and the clutch master cylinders are two completely
separate, unconnected units. They just happen to live beside each other. The
clutch master cylinder is a bit smaller and to the right (when viewed from
the front of the car). You have checked this separate resevoir too, haven't
you?

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget