RE: Clutch gone???!!!

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <bk996@freenet.carleton.ca>
Subject: RE: Clutch gone???!!!
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 11:38:53 -0400
Eric wrote:

> In the case of clutch, what would the collected masses suggest
> replacing while the engine and tranny are out of the car.

Careful ... this line of thinking could lead to a BOF restoration ... ;^)

In addition to the clutch disc, pressure plate, and release bearing ...
check/replace the following items (Moss Part #s included for clarity)
... brass bush in the clutch release ever (330-200) ... bolt/nut that
fixes the clutch release lever to the tranny front cover (190-550) ...
slave cylinder push rod (180-200) and clevis pin (325-140) ... as these
bits wear reducing the effective travel of the clutch release lever, and
lead to premature clutch wear.  The forks (180-300) and clevis pins
(325-150) on the master cylinder and the pedal bushings (330-180)
are also subject to wear, but you can correct these without removal
of the engine/tranny.

I just finished disassembling an 'A' tranny ... the clutch release lever
(NLA) is junk due to neglect ... wear continued past the brass bush
into clutch release lever (elongating the hole)  ... the diameter of the
bolt that passes through the bush and fixes the clutch release lever
to the tranny front cover was reduced by 50% ... 8^0

Check to make sure that the flywheel does not require resurfacing,
that the flywheel ring gear (190-040) is in good condition, and that
the clutch hose (180-820) is in good condition ... I typically rebuild
the slave cylinder.

The above should give you a 'sound' clutch ... while the engine/tranny
are out you will want to check/replace the engine and tranny mounts
... 'attempt' to stop any fluid leaks ... check the layshaft for pitting ...
and check syncrho (baulk) rings for wear.

> Along this line, does the entire car cockpit interior need to be
> removed to get the engine/tranny out ...

... no.

> ... or can the car be jacked up and the engine and tranny taken out
> from beneath?

... yes ... the bonnet (hood) is removed and the engine/tranny are pulled
upward through the engine compartment ... sounds like you need to
invest in a workshop manual (they outline the procedure for removing the
engine/tranny) and rent/purchase a 'good' engine hoist.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII Roadster