Re: Idling speed & starter...

To: Wizzrd1001@aol.com
Subject: Re: Idling speed & starter...
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 23:54:04 +0100
Wizzrd1001@aol.com wrote:

> modifications to my 74 BGT's engine.
> 2 litre, Lotus Pistons, SK Racing Carb., Free flow headers/exhaust, remote
> oil filter, and other things I couldn't begin to tell you, oh yeah, Dual
> timing chain...

Now that sounds like a fun car!

>     Anyways, I've started to get some dieseling, and someone suggested too
> high of an idle, well, my car idles around 1200-1300 once it warms up, it was
> this high when we bought it, and it was raised a bit after installing a new
> K&N filter, and having adjustments made b/c it imediately started running
> rich.  Now, what should be normal idle for this car?? Should it still be like
> other Bs? Or higher b/c of larger engine, or other modifications??

I would think that it would idle lower unless you have a real lumpy cam.
Something under 1,000 would be typical. My C/GT idles at 800.

>    Now for the starter...I recently replaced my starter and solenoid with a
> used, not rebuilt one (funds were short) Well, now this one is dying, every
> so often when I turn the key, it starts, but, next time, I'll turn it, and
> nothing, not even one click from the solenoid. Battery is fine, but, when I
> turn it over, and nothing happens, the wires from the relay don't get hot
> like last time it happened. Is it possible the relay is shot?

I'm afraid anything is possible. My C/GT starter recently exhibited
identical symptoms and, therefore, it has to be the solenoid. It wasn't.
The start drive gear was so worn where the solenoid fork engages with
the gear that it just boggered the whole thing up and wouldn't work. New
drive gear: $32. No click, not buzz, no nothing. That was an interesting
problem.

We have a local rebuilder who'll rebuild them for $60 - $70 if you take
it to them. You might research the same deal in your burg.

(I ain't at all suggesting Mr. Masters troubleshooting ain't the thing
to do. His advice is spot on 'cept about V8 vendors and respositories,
etc.)

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)