Idling speed & starter...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Idling speed & starter...
From: Wizzrd1001@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 16:47:03 -0400 (EDT)
Hey list!! I'm sure some of you know about the modifications to my 74 BGT's
engine.
2 litre, Lotus Pistons, SK Racing Carb., Free flow headers/exhaust, remote
oil filter, and other things I couldn't begin to tell you, oh yeah, Dual
timing chain...
    Anyways, I've started to get some dieseling, and someone suggested too
high of an idle, well, my car idles around 1200-1300 once it warms up, it was
this high when we bought it, and it was raised a bit after installing a new
K&N filter, and having adjustments made b/c it imediately started running
rich.  Now, what should be normal idle for this car?? Should it still be like
other Bs? Or higher b/c of larger engine, or other modifications??
   Now for the starter...I recently replaced my starter and solenoid with a
used, not rebuilt one (funds were short) Well, now this one is dying, every
so often when I turn the key, it starts, but, next time, I'll turn it, and
nothing, not even one click from the solenoid. Battery is fine, but, when I
turn it over, and nothing happens, the wires from the relay don't get hot
like last time it happened. Is it possible the relay is shot?
If I leave the car sit for a little while, and come back, and try it, it
sometimes, starts right up, what's up here?? Bad ignition switch, relay,
solenoid??? Wires??
Any help is GREATLY appreciated, cause this is my daily driver, and being 16,
I can't take dads comp. car when the MG breaks down!!!  Thanks!!!    Wiz 74
1/2 BGT