Re: TD tuning

To: jhgindle@wcnet.org
Subject: Re: TD tuning
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 09:52:07 EDT
Hi John,
 You can set the gap to that specified by the maker of the sparkplug,
which is probably in the .024-.025 range.  More than that is not likely
to give you any benefit. Look for a thorough discussion of this, written
by Hal Kramer, in a future issue of TSO
 Yes, it is beneficial to advance the timing a bit. Remember that the 0
TDC setting is a stationary measurement, not with engine running.   What
I did was something, suggested in TSO a year or so back, in which you
measure the diameter of the crankshaft pulley, then calculate in inches
the degrees of advance you want to have at 3500 rpm. The Workshop Manual
says 32 degrees. Most of us are running about 36. Mark your measured
spot, then rev up and set the distributor so the timing light flashes at
36 degrees at 3500 rpm.
Bob