Suddenly Overheating

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Suddenly Overheating
From: "EPMD- Van syckel, John" <vansyck@hq.1perscom.heidelberg.army.mil>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 14:33:50 +0200
While on the way home from work yesterday, my B suddenly overheated.
Pulled into a place where I knew I could get water, waited until it
cooled down enough to take the radiator cap off.  Topped it off (a lot
had boiled off) and drove the last two miles home.  Same thing happened.
 Of course, I suspect water pump or thermostat, but what is prompting
this posting is that I would like to know if there is any way to
determine what the probable cause is without surgery?  There are no
tell-tale signs.  No noises (e.g. "trashed" water pump).  Nothing.
Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks, in advance.

"Jay"
John S. van Syckel