Re: My own personal "what have I done"

Subject: Re: My own personal "what have I done"
From: "White, Richard H." <White@courier3.aero.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 08:41:00 -0700

Tyson Sherman wrote:

> Today, when driving the car (when relatively cold) the gauge
> shoots up to ~75psi (the "5" on the 72-76 gauges)".  Should
> I still replace the valve/spring, or is this good ...

Tyson,  my 80 MGB had fluctuating oil pressure.  The new spring was 1/8
longer than the old one, thus showing me it had shrunk.  It was easy to
replace (as you know), and was cheap ($5 from Northwest Import Parts).
Something everyone should do, as time permits.

I did read in a book that you should lap in the plunger with valve grinding
compound for the best seal.  But only if your completely rebuilding the
engine and can clean all the compound out.  Richard
White