Re: My own personal "what have I done"

To: Tyson Sherman <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Subject: Re: My own personal "what have I done"
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 23:14:22 +0100
Tyson Sherman wrote:

> Today, when driving the car (when relatively cold) the gauge
> shoots up to ~75psi (the "5" on the 72-76 gauges)".  Should
> I still replace the valve/spring, or is this good ...

Makes me good and nervous. If the relief valve pops, it is bleeding
excess oil right back into the sump. There is a restriction in some oil
gallery that is preventing the oil from making all of it's appointed
rounds.

I would wager that oil hits the mains and big ends, then is directed to
the camshaft, and what is left goes upstairs for the rocker shaft.

I'd be sorta curious if, when you remove the valve cover and fire up the
beast, does oil start oozing up over the rocker arms? That won't be the
end of the story, I guess, until all the oil gallerys are mapped out.

Puzzled but ignorant,

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)