Re: head gasket question

To: Nory <Nory@webtv.net>
Subject: Re: head gasket question
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 10:08:46 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Nory wrote:

> After replacing the head gasket, I need to change the oil (coolant in
> the oil).  Should I change it cold?  Or is it OK to warm up the engine
> (and the oil) to change it?  I'm concerned that the engine may not get
> enough lubrication if I warm it up with the coolant still in the old
> oil.  If I do change it cold, should I change it again, after warming it
> up, to be sure I remove all traces of coolant?  Or is that not
> necessary?

Changing it twice would be safest.  But if you have some used oil from a
_recent_ oil change which doesn't have tree leaves in it and less than
10,000 miles on it, you could use it to "flush out" the engine (by running
it to operating temp.) and then put in fresh oil.
OTOH, oil is very cheap in this country...

                                                           '67 Sprite