Re: MGC Motors

To: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>, <Teacher122@aol.com>
Subject: Re: MGC Motors
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 97 09:06:59 -0400
Hello??? Scott Gardner

>> What are the lifting points on a B's 4 cylinder? I'll be putting mine back
in
>> a couple of weeks from now. Thanks!
>>
>> Tom Green
>> 1979 MGB
>>
>I think you use the two bolts that hold the rocker cover down.  I
>know they look pretty flimsy, but that's what I see in the shop
>manuals.  A few months back on this list, somebody looked up the
>stress ratings on bolts of that size, and it's something like 500
>pounds EACH!
>Scott
Yea 500lbs each - straight up and down. if you put an angle stress on a
stud or bolt of that size it will bend. we used to use the head bolts if
there was no attachment point available. one at the tranny end and one on
the opposite side on the water pump end. Of course re torque after.
better yet dont't torque prior and then torgue. One of the manifold bolts
(use a spare and on of the peripherials (alt, air pump etc) is a better
bet.

Good luck Tom

Larry Macy
78 Midget