exhaust in the air (slightly long)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: exhaust in the air (slightly long)
From: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 20:59:00 +0100
Hi,

I have an odd problem with my '68 midget. I always smell exhaust when I am
driving it. Is this normal? I don't remember having this problem when I had
my sprite. I've checked for holes in the floor, firewall, etc. but haven't
found anything. The PO installed a Monza exhaust on the car and since they
stick out the backend further than the standard exhaust I was wondering if
the exhaust was coming in from the back. I just had a new head and
distributor put on the car and i was hoping that would have fixed the
problem (along with some others) but no dice. Has anyone else experienced
this with the Monza exhausts?

I also had an interesting thing happen when i picked up my car from the
shop earlier this week. First, it cost almost double what the estimate said
it was going to cost! And secondly when I picked it up the owner said
"there is something wrong with your front end, the car just isn't handling
right, we'll tackle that next time you come in" I though that was odd
because the car handled great before i brought it in. I paid my bill, took
my car out on the highway and sure enough, I had to struggle to keep it
going straight, it felt like a boat the way it was handling. Well this
afternoon when i was doing my weekly checking of the tires i noticed that
the front right and the rear left tire only had 10psi in them. Now i'm not
saying my mechanic and all mechanics in general are shifty you can draw
your own conclusions from your own experiences, but I will say I am never
going back to a mechanic again! The car handled just f-i-n-e after bringing
the tires back up to their normal pressure.

One last thing, I am looking for a non-cracked vinyl dash for my Midget, if
anyone knows where  I can find one please drop me a line (I know it's a
long shot, but I gotta try)

Thanks,

Robert