Re: aaaah, what's that noise?

To: car@texas.net
Subject: Re: aaaah, what's that noise?
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 03:24:31 EDT
On Sun, 14 Sep 1997 18:54:04 -0500 Carol <car@texas.net> writes:

>Darlin's started this "rattling" business, too.....
>Today a new one cropped up a mid-range rattle. It turns out to be the
fan-looking thing on the generator. I'm sure it has a name, and I'll
look it up later when I get the shop manual out. Somebody at the
show/rally today said I'd have to take the generator off. I'll know more
after I  hit the books.

Hey Carol,

Ha!  Teach you not to listen to strangers.  You forgot that my MGA did
the same thing somewhere along the Alaska trip (can't remember just
where).  Pull the hand brake on hard, and put the tranny in 4th gear so
you can't turn the engine.  Now put a heavy thumb down on the fan belt
between the gen pulley and the H2O pulley to snug the belt, and tighten
the nut on the gen shaft.  POC.  3-Minute job.

Barney