Wire Wheels, tires etc.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wire Wheels, tires etc.
From: Gary Burrell <garyb@pentek.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 15:23:29 -0400
Well, I had a flat on my B on the weekend.  Which caused me to look
at my tires and notice a lot of sidewall cracking.  So I need new tires.

This in turn causes me to consider moving up one of the items on my
major acquisition list.  Namely new wire wheels.  When I restored my
car I had my current (originally chrome) wires sand blasted and
painted, and while they look  all right they just will  never compare
to chrome.

Anyway Browsing the British Wire Wheels catalog I see I have
several choices to consider.

Dayton vrs Dunlop

Dunlop are all chrome, whereas Dayton has stainless steel spokes,
which are supposed to be stronger.  If I go for dayton is it worth it
to get the show polish on the stainless spokes.  (How much duller
is this than chrome)

60 vrs 72 spoke.

Do I go for the larger rims.  Then I can use 185/70R14 as opposed
to the much harder to find 165R14.  I think there has been some
mention of the larger tires causing problems.  Any input?

Thanks in advance

Gary

--
Gary Burrell