RE: ANSA header

To: <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: RE: ANSA header
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 14:20:39 -0400
>> Kidding aside ... you should also consider the Peco system.
>
> And as part of the consideration, you should read David Vizard's
> results when testing a Peco system for the Mini. It wasn't pretty
> if I remember correctly.

The comment was made in reference to a 'B' series engine, so Vizard's
test results are irrelevant.  In his book on the 'B' series engine Peter
Burgess states that "[f]itting one typically boosts mid-range power
by 5bhp at the wheels ...".  The increase has more to do with the Peco
HDR exhaust system than the Peco HDR header ... Peter Burgess
states that "[e]ven though there's no easily measurable power increase
from using it, even at high rpm, the manifold is worth fitting as it then
mates very easily with the rest of the larger bore system."  So ... I was
suggesting that Bill consider the Peco System (comprised of both the
header and exhaust bits) in lieu of the ANSA system.  The Peco
system is a bit expensive, but I've seen folks pay alot more and not
get 5bhp *at the wheels*.

However, I must agree with Bob Allen (geez ... that was hard to type)
... a 'Jet Hot' coated standard, LCB style, exhaust manifold is a better
choice than an aftermarket tubular header, but a new 'Y' pipe must be
fabricated to allow for proper fitment of the 'excellent' Peco HDR exhaust
system.

Of course ... your opinion my vary ... ;^)

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII