RE: uneven tire wear

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: uneven tire wear
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 11:43:00 -0700 (PDT)
Sounds like you're toe-in if I have things straight. Your front tires should
be slightly closer together between the front sides of the tires like when
you snowplow skiing. Unless you make it a practice to drive backwards more
than forwards, your tires are farther apart in front causeing them to want
to diverge as you travel forward causing them to wear on the inside of the
tire. When you say inside, you do mean tread, not the actual side wall,
right? The things to check in terms of alignment are your rack, tie rod ends
and kingpins. As long as all the components are ok the alignment is made by
backing off the tie rod end nut and, in your case, screwing the rod further
into the tie rod end equally on both sides in the amount that would give you
the proper toe-in. then tighten down the nut and your done
If your the do it yourselfer and like an adventure I could tell you how to
rig up a measuring device with two t-squares, some clamps and a piece of
wood that would allow you to check and set your toe-in or you could pay $30
to the local tire place and be done in a half hour.

Chris Reichle