Re: MGC "Grapes of Wrath"

To: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Subject: Re: MGC "Grapes of Wrath"
From: pat bailey <pbailey@qnet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 06:46:04 -0700
The valve job I am contemplating is merely to pull the head and decarbon
all the
> =%Odirty stuff. Then I'll pull the valves and clean them up as best I can.
>Then I
> =%Owill do a valve job manually:
> =%O
> =%OA wooden stick with a suction cup on the end and a tin of grinding
>compound. You
> =%Osmear some grinding compound on the valve seat, drop the valve onto the
>seat,
> =%Opush the sucker cup onto the head of the valve, and then twirl the stick
>much as
> =%Othe cartoons demonstrated making a fire. Afterwards, clean up the valve
>compound
> =%Oreal, real good and reassemble everything. All of the above assumes
>nothing bad
> =%Ois found during disassembly.
> =%O
> =%OThe "wooden stick" part is an actual tool made for the purpose and is
>available
> =%Oat most good tool cribs as is the valve grinding compound. I do not think
>it is
> =%Ocalled "cat tongue".
> =%O
> =%O"The Grapes of Wrath" is a novel by John Steinbeck on the perils of people
> =%Oliving in the Dust Bowl

My Dad was great at that kind of stuff,he told me once broke a spark
plug on a model T when he was young in the depression and fashioned one
out of  a corncob and piece of wire! I think today we have too much
money  (or credit)and can afford to have it done by someone else or if
we do it ourselve we can afford to do it right.This applies to another
hobby of mine astronomy The art of amateur telescope making is
dying,because why bother to make one when you can throw a new one on the
Visa?We are losing a uniquely(sp?)american trait one of inovatedness.We
let some one else do it or throw it away and buy a new one.This is
sad!We bitch about the dreaded previous owner and his bodges but mmaybe
he couldn't afford parts and was only trying to keep her going.We have
to realize these are still cheap cars especially to the general public
who only wants a cheap convertible and couldn't care less about Kimber
and history and when confronted with a $80 fuel pump will put anything
in.Until these cars are more expensive and out of the average joes hands
this will continue.It will be interesting to see if this trait returns
in a new generation when the next depression hits.

As for trevor....He sounds like an anal retentive snob and I will just
ignore any posts from him in the future I guess he could change his
e-mail address but if it's from him in the trash it goes!And I advise
everyone else to not respond to him it only encourages him!

Pat    flame away trevor!