'69 MGB and Clutches

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '69 MGB and Clutches
From: KYBP79A@prodigy.com (MR DAN C HENSON)
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 18:31:17, -0500
-- [ From: Dan Henson * EMC.Ver #2.5.3 ] --

I have a 69 MGB that has developed a serious oil leak... I know, what is
odd about that, right?  Well, this leak seems to be in the very rear of
the engine and is a solid streams of oil for the first few seconds after
I shut it off but it doesn't seem to lose much oil during actual running
.  Does this sounds like the rear main seal?  I assume if so, I must
pull the engine.

   Which leads into my next question: shortly after the leak developed,
I noticed that the clutch is slipping.  Is it possible that oil has
soaked the clutch disk?

  So, I am looking for tips and tricks on pulling my engine and I guess
transmission to fix these two problems.  And, VERY IMPORTANT, how can I
be sure that the leak is the rear main before I go to all the trouble to
pull the engine?

   Thanks!!  Dan in NC