Re: '69 MGB and Clutches

To: KYBP79A@prodigy.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: '69 MGB and Clutches
From: Teacher122@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 16:13:04 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-19 04:47:20 EDT, KYBP79A@prodigy.com (MR DAN C
HENSON) writes:

<< Does this sounds like the rear main seal?  I assume if so, I must
 pull the engine.

    Which leads into my next question: shortly after the leak developed,
 I noticed that the clutch is slipping.  Is it possible that oil has
 soaked the clutch disk?

   So, I am looking for tips and tricks on pulling my engine and I guess
 transmission to fix these two problems.  And, VERY IMPORTANT, how can I
 be sure that the leak is the rear main before I go to all the trouble to
 pull the engine?

Dan,

Sounds to me that you have no choice but to yank the engine.  Plan on
replacing the rear main seal, the clutch, pressure plate, and the throwout
bearing.  The good news is that the engine can be pulled without the
transmission.  Speaking of transmission, it too has a front seal and gasket
that could be part of the problem.  Have you checked the oil level in your
transmission lately?  Good luck!

Tom Green
1979 MGB and a Black Lab that loves cats (in trees)