Re: Bad Kingpin or Swivel - how do you know ???

To: mike.cousins@wsnelson.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Bad Kingpin or Swivel - how do you know ???
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 18:42:45 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-16 11:09:56 EDT, mike.cousins@wsnelson.com writes:

<< My question is:  How do you know if your kingpins are bad or if the
 swivel is bad ????  Does one wear out and not the other (softer steel on
 the kingpin ?) Most places sell just the kingpins or complete swivel &
 kingpin with correctly reamed bearings (more $$$$)  I'd like to save
 some $ and just buy the kingpins, but I'd be wasting my time if the
 swivels are bad. How do you know ? >>

Mike,

I've been through this on both my son's '76 Midget and my '73 MGB.

The theory is that the softer bushing will sacrifice itself and leave the
much harder kingpin with little wear so you can simply replace the bushings.
In reality, the softer bushing besomes impregnated with dirt an other
"gritters" which tent to wear the harder pin just as much.

Be advised that the assembly is very well made and will not wear out for
quite some time with even spotty greasing. Much more likely to wear out (or
dry out and disintigrate is the upper and lower rubber bushings. Replace
these first and see (they're cheap enough). However, some of our cars have
been driven so much that the swivel axles do eventually wear out.

I prefer to buy a rebuilt swivel axle set, when the time finally comes. I
gets you back on the road much faster and cheaper. A good macj=hine shop
charged me $65 to press in and ream the bushings after I already spent over a
$100 for parts. Then, I had to wait a week to get them back from the machine
shop.

R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon (a large lovable pussy cat)
'79 Midget
'76 Midget
'73 MGB