Re: Wire wheels & balancing

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wire wheels & balancing
From: ejrussell@sprynet.com
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1997 17:06:56 -0700
     I have had wire wheels with my 'A for 20+ years, now with >300,000 miles!
The previous info about checking splines is correct. If you have a loose/broken
spoke or two they're easy to replace and the wheel is unlikely to need
"trueing". Many loose/broken spokes will need rebuild... A simple test is to
bonk each spoke with a screwdriver handle listening for the "pitch". Good
spokes
will plunk and bad ones will thunk. Hard to describe but try a few wheels and
you'll quickly see/hear the difference. It's my opinion that 48 spoke wheels
(original on MGA) have marginal strength for MG's. I have 4 - 60 spokers now,
plan to get 72 spokers next as I want wider wheels. MGC's have 15" wheels, I'm
not sure of the width but that would be an uprate for MGB's.
     Re: Mounting/Balancing - DO *NOT* let an inexperienced technician practice
on your good wheels. (Although I had a friend who got a whole new set for his
Sprite after a chain store broke spokes on all 4 wheels!)
     The best balancing method I've found is at an older garage where they spin
the tire/wheel ON the car. They have an electric motor to spin the fronts and
use the engine to spin the rears! I don't understand the technology but they
use
a strobe light to locate where to place the weights. Balanced off the car I
would get a vibration at 65mph, balanced on the car would be smooth. Perhaps it
allows the brake rotor/drum to be factored into the balance? There are two
places that can do this nearby me (SE MASS). Once properly balanced, with good
hub splines and strong spokes you should have many miles of wired motoring...
     Re: Chrome/stainless - no experience here except I've always felt chrome
wire wheels don't look right on MG's... too fancy... (excuse me for a moment
while I put on my Nomex...)
Eric
     P.S. Make sure you get proper tubes for radial tires and one or two for
spares. I often have to special order them from tire dealers.
     Also see: http://www.team.net/sol/tech/