Reverse gear problem

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Reverse gear problem
From: Ned Cartwright <ned@nedcart.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 05:16:24 +0100
This is my first posting in this mailing list so hello. I have had a '76
B roadster, white, 52k miles for the last few months and in the last few
days encountered a reverse gear problem that appears to happen after a
run. Reverse gear appears to be not engaged, although there is some
slight reverse drive, which doesn't get better with increased throttle.

I imagine it must be an internal problem in the g'box, but wonder if
anybody could help me with an explanation. I'm new to these motors and
the manuals I have don't record any gearbox faults related to reverse
gear. The box has overdrive and I wonder if there is any interaction
between the units.

Whilst asking about gearboxes, does anyone have a suggestion about the
running-on problem, or perhaps more likely is there an FAQ for this
mailing list that contains any help for this very common problem with
the B engine (other than working the head)?

TIA

Ned