RE: Reverse gear problem

To: "Ned Cartwright" <ned@nedcart.demon.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: Reverse gear problem
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@classic.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 97 12:20:55 UT

<S>

This is my first posting in this mailing list so hello.

<insert>

Hello and welcome

I have had a '76
B roadster, white, 52k miles for the last few months and in the last few
days encountered a reverse gear problem that appears to happen after a
run. Reverse gear appears to be not engaged, although there is some
slight reverse drive, which doesn't get better with increased throttle.

<extraneous S>
 The box has overdrive and I wonder if there is any interaction
between the units.
<insert>
1. Sounds like the classic symptom of forgetting to switch the OD off!!  Are
you sure you are taking it out of OD?  If you are sure that it's not your
error then it still sounds like the OD is not switching off.  Are there any
other symptoms such as intermittent engaging/disengaging which might suggest
some fault(s) with the electrics or switch?  Also, perhaps the solenoid is
failing to disengage (although I have not heard of this before).

Whilst asking about gearboxes, does anyone have a suggestion about the
running-on problem, or perhaps more likely is there an FAQ for this
mailing list that contains any help for this very common problem with
the B engine (other than working the head)?

TIA

Ned