RE: Rear Seal leak, clutch slip post

To: KYBP79A@prodigy.com
Subject: RE: Rear Seal leak, clutch slip post
From: Joanne Hershfield/Jim Fink <hershfld@email.unc.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 23:37:20 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Dan:

Saw your post on the rear seal clutch slipping, how to confirm bit.

I believe there is a hole at the bottom of the bell housing with a little
pin in it that should allow oil to leak out, if it has leaked out, unless
it somehow could be leaking down from the top rear of the engine, I expect
you may be correct in assuming it is the rear seal on your car. Especially
if the clutch is also slipping, a bad rear seal will send oil flying all
around the bellhousing interior, and the only thing in there is the clutch
components, sure the clutch plate can get soaked.

What year is your car and how many miles since last rebuild..?, I guess
the front tranmission seal is also a possibility, .

on another note, I
recall in my '85 volvo wagon, a breather valve was plugged and the car
spewed oil out the rear seal, it was the path of least reisitance once the
air pressure in the interior of the block built up, the oil went out the
back, I was all set to pull the engine when a mechanic sugggested I clean
the breather valve....
man was I a happy greatfull camper....,

so first check that the engine is
breathing properly, although a B engine is probably harder to seal up than
the volvo engine, but they are sort of similar in design....In other
words, is the crankcase ventilating properly, this will depend on the year
of the engine as to how it is set up., let me know if you have more
questions....

Should you get a positive that it is the rear seal, then pulling the
engine and tranny together is not that crazy a deal, the engine by itself
is pretty easy too, but sometimes just as much trouble as with the tranny
in tow... the advantage with the tranny together is that it forces you to
replace the tranny mounts before re-installing, that is  a good thing. and
it is much easier to re-install the engine onto the transmission outside
of the car than with the tranny in the car., the disadvantage is it is
quite a pain to get the tranny mounts all tied up after dropping
everything into place, although I have come up with a pretty good plan of
attack for this operation, I consider the tranmission mounts to be the
third most difficult operation on the car, next to the windsheild seals
#1, and the pain of lying upside down installing the exhaust pipe to the
manifold, and tightening or removing the 8 drive shaft bolts upside down..
argh.....

Anyway, where in NC are you.? I am in Chapel Hill.
Jim Fink

'67 B (rolling rusty wire wheel hulk for sale)
'64 B, next on the assembly line....
'69 B, BRG Daily driver, and fast too., love that NW Motors CAM...!