Re: tire size

To: robert@woozy.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net, healeys@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: tire size
From: Spook37211@aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 13:08:25 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-22 00:00:04 EDT, robert@woozy.com writes:

<< While perusing my dog eared copy of Robert Bentley's "The Complete
Official
 Sprite / Midget 1967-1974" I noticed that the specified tire size for
 radials on these cars are 145SR-13. The PO had mounted 155SR-13. I know
 that this throws the speedo off, but in which direction? Am I going faster
 than the speedo says or slower? Im guessing slower, but math was never my
 strongest area.

 Are there other advantages/disadvantages to running larger tires? Better
 gas milage? Worse gas milage? Smoother ride? etc.  I haven't seen 145SR-13
 anywhere in my travels through the tire places. Does anyone know if this
 size tire is still available? I just checked British Wire Wheel and they
 don't even carry them, the 155's are the smallest they stock.

 Any help, guidance, answers, donations will be greatly appreciated and
 karmically rewarded.

You are probably going faster than the speedo reads; but this assumes that
the 155 has a greater tire height than the 145.  More height equals a greater
circumference, and a greater circumference means that the vehicle travels
further with each revolution of the wheel.  Your speedo is only a rev counter
hooked to the trans.  Higher revolutions make it read higher speeds.
You might want to check the height difference; the tire dealer should  have
the info.
Regards, Ray