Re: how about a real V8!

To: Spook37211@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: how about a real V8!
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 16:28:43 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-09-23 13:19:52 EDT, Spook37211@aol.com writes:

> I saw an interesting car the other night....it was a Miata with a Ford
>  smallblock.  The engine had aluminum Twisted Flow heads on it, so the
weight
>  was probably around 400 pounds or so.  Since it also had a supercharger on
>  it, I suspect that it produces considerably more than 200 hp; I might add
>  that it made a very nice package.
>  I don't know if this engine/trans would fit in the B's compartment, so you
>  might be limited to the old Buick engine.

Ray:

Funny that you should ask! I just happen to know a little about the relative
sizes of the Ford vs the BOP/Rover engines. The Ford is roughly the same
length, but about 1 -2 inches narrower. With an aluminum intake,  heads, and
water pump, light weight flywheel, small starter, alternator, carb, exhaust
headers, distributor, and five quarts of oil, the Ford weighs very close to
424 pounds. A stock TR6 engine, complete, weighs about 460 pounds. According
to David Hardcastle, the BOP/Rover engine weighs 360 pounds. I assume that is
without oil, headers, starter, and alternator. Adding these items runs the
weight up to about 405 pounds.

So, for about 55 pounds (avoirdupois, not Sterling), you can have 302 cubic
inches, with a wide range of performance enhancers available at your
neighborhood parts store (keep in mind, the BOP/Rover engine weighs less than
the stock B, so the final configuration with the Ford would be about as
stock). According to Ford Motorsports, the engine as used in my TR6 produces
320 HP! Not exactly what one would call "measley," eh?

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74