Re: longest distance?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, Todd Mullins <todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: longest distance?
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 00:51:16 -0700
> I'm confused ... Did you, or did you not, have the front wheels on the
> tow dolly?
>
> Anyway, my warning is due to the dangers of reverse rotation with wire
> wheels.  Because of the way the threads are, ordinary forward rotation
> keeps the spinners tight, but extensive backwards rotation (like mounted
> backwards on a tow dolly) will encourage the spinners to unscrew!  Just
> wanted to make sure you were aware of this.
>
> --
>
> Todd Mullins

Yes, the rear wheels were on the ground, turning forwards.  That's why I went
with
new fluid for the trip.  The PO advised against towing the car 1,000mi with the
rear-end components churning.  We shoved the car on backwards, but due to the
bad
steering lock, the front wheels turned when the trailer made a turn.  It's very
disquieting to see the side of your MG in the rear veiw mirrors!  I changed
fluids,
and the car was fine, still without a leak!

        The reason I posted this to the list is that I had no idea that your
spinners
could unscrew if you drove backwards for too long.  Drat, i wanted to be the
first to
cross the continent backwards in a LBC!  (I know I wouldn't be the first to
travel in
a backwards LBC though!)
--
Michael S. Lishego