Re: MGA purchase and restoration book?

To: ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU
Subject: Re: MGA purchase and restoration book?
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 21:56:02 -0500
On Wed, 24 Sep 1997 18:56:15 -0400 (EDT) Arthur Pfenninger
<ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU> writes:
>       I took a look at the Vitrikas book in the library but was not
>impressed with it as far as a usefull restoration book.

I agree.  It has more "history" than restoration, as do most of the books
out there.  "Original MGA" will just show you what the car should look
like when it's done, not how to do it.

>I wouldn't waste my money on the workshop manual. It looks nice but
doesn't
>contain much more than the Haynes. It doesn't even deal with the engine
>removal process.

Gee, Art, someone must have ripped some pages out of your copy.  My
factory workshop manual certainly does include the engine removal
process.  The problem is that it begins with removing the seats and
carpets!  The workshop manual only details how to remove the engine and
the transmission together (hence the necessity of removing the seats).
The Haynes manual tells you how to get the engine out and leave the
transmission in.  The Haynes manual is good, since it is based upon
actually stripping down and repairing an MGA.  Nevertheless, the workshop
manual has better illustrations, is more accurate (although riddled with
often unintelligible British jargon), and more complete.  Get them both.

>You might want to consider A Antics put out by the NAMGAR.

No "might" about it, get it!  It is indispensable for restoring an A.  It
is worth twenty of those so-called restoration guides.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX