RE: can't get started

To: <ggraham@edcen.ehhs.cmich.edu>
Subject: RE: can't get started
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 23:31:02 -0400
> ... and know precious little about carburettors in general and
> nothing at all (yet) about the HIF4's on this engine. There was
> a bunch of crud in the fuel line when I disconnected it between
> the carbs.

Ahhhh ... sounds like it could be a rusty tank (hopefully the
float needles are just gummed up from old gas).  The 'crud' that
was in the fuel line has found its way into the float chamber.

> It sounds to me like they need to come off & be at least "back
> flushed" if that's possible.

As per my previous post, my experience is with H4s/HF4S not
HIF4s ... unfortunately, the 'INTERAUTO' SU manual that I have
only covers the H and HF carbs ... so the only thing that I have
to work from is the Moss catalog ... you should solicit the help
of someone that has experience with HIF4s ... ;^)

It looks like the float covers are held onto the bottom of the carb
by 4 screws ... so, you *should* be able to remove the screws
and check the float chamber for 'crud'.  Spray the float chamber
with carb cleaner.  I suggest that ya give some serious thought
to rebuilding the carbs.

> How do I get to the fuel pump to put a filter on upstream? Is it
> in the tank?

Nope ... its located by the passenger's side rear wheel.  If the
tank is full of rust, this as a short term solution ... you really
need to address the condition of the tank ... changing/cleaning
the fuel filter will get old *real* quick.

> Is it possible to flush the debris out of the tank without removing
it?

I guess ... but I doubt that you will be successful.  The gas tank on
the 'A' is *real* expensive so SOP is to have them boiled out at a
radiator shop ... but, from what I understand the 'B' tanks are not that
expensive so you may want to consider replacing the tank.

I'm sure that the 'B' folks on the list will be of more assitance.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII Roadster