Rotary MG/OD Removal

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rotary MG/OD Removal
From: Williams/MG Guy <mgguyc100@newedge.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 12:36:47 -0600 (MDT)
Ahh - ze weekend...

Some years ago, a gentleman in the Northern Ontario town we called home for
the time installed an early RX7 unit in a '72 B. It required some pretty
serious surgery in particular to the front crossmember and firewall, but it
fit rather well. Looked odd when you opened the hood to have the power unit
cowering away at the back of the engine compartment. He also managed to
install the Mazda 5 speed.

Go! This thing was a rocket!

Regarding the post about removing the OD unit - nope - you gotta/better pull
the engine. The crossmember bolts to the underside of the car. You've got to
have the engine clear the first motion shaft, and there's no way I know  of
to do that with the engine in situ. But just wait 'til you experience the
thrill of installing those tranny mounting brackets! I found the recent
thread most interesting - in particular the tip from Larry Dickstein about
drilling the 1/2" holes. On my last tranny install, I used a small scissor
jack to give me the up/down movement required, and used GENTLY a metal drift
to line up the holes/pads/shims. It's a situation that truly proves that
patience is a virtue.

Terry WIlliams
'70 BGT
'68 roadster