Head Modifications

To: VRHS43A@prodigy.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Head Modifications
From: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 08:25:58 -0400
Looking for some information on cylinder head modification.  The engine in
my B is from a 79 spec car.  The bottom end was rebuilt a couple of years
ago.  The head is from an early (pre-68)car, hence it has the "deep"
combustion chambers.  This, combined with the dished pistons equates to a
very low compression engine.

I am preparing to retrofit the earlier, flat-top pistons.  At this time I
also want to have the cylinder head re-built with hardened seats, new
guides, etc.  I plan on contracting this work out.  I would also like to
have the head shaved a bit, and possibly have the ports cleaned up a bit.

Now the questions:

1)  How much should I have shaved from the head.  My goal is to end up with
a compression ratio of around 9:1.  I definitely don't want to cause
reliability problems.

2)  Are any of the "service vendors" on the list interested in doing this
head for me?  If so, please respond (privately if you wish) with your
reccomendations and a budgetary quote.

Regards,

Chris Delling