Engine break in

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Engine break in
From: Art Pfenninger <ch155@FreeNet.Buffalo.EDU>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 10:32:22 -0400 (EDT)
        Question of the day...After an engine rebuild why do we practice
the ancient ritual of the dreaded BREAK IN PEROID? It used to be that when
you bought a new car and drove it off the showroom floor you had to break
it in. Today you pick up the car and off you go 60 miles an hour. Do any
of the manufactures still require a break in peroid?
        I know what the books say about this (they actually don't say much
if you really read them) some even give a schedule to follow after a
rebuild. I suspect however that this information is being carried over
from when this was required by the industry. Unless the companies that
produce the replacement parts have a stock of old metal that they melt
down
I can't see any difference between a rebuilt engine and a new one. Parts
is parts. Now if the new car companies still require a break in peroid
then thats another story.
...Art