Re: Engine break in

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, dmeadow@juno.com
Subject: Re: Engine break in
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 13:02:52 +0000
> My understanding is that the manufacturers go through a break-in process
> for the engine in the factory, before the engine is installed in the car.
> I'm not sure how this is done, but I have seen assembly line films that
> show a worker spinning an engine on an electric motor.

On a trip the 'The Austin' (factory) in the '60s completed engines, but without
sump or rocker cover, were put on a conveyor that automatically hooked up a
drive
and an oil feed as each engine reached a certain point.  The engines were spun
at
several hundred rpm for several minutes as they travelled along, being
disconnected
automatically several yards down the track.

I believe E-Types had some kind of strap under the throttle pedal at part
travel.
If you broke the strap during the running-in period you invalidated the
warranty.

These days 'running-in' advice seems to consist of 'don't exceed x rpm and
don't
labour the engine in any gear for y miles'.

PaulH.